You can place the seeds directly into the soil and let them sprout, but before germination many of the seeds will perish, because of¬†the fluctuating environmental factors.¬†The seeds¬†need to be¬†pre-sprouted by soaking them before planting, so the best success rate when planting the seeds can be ensured.
If you have a plan to soak the seeds before planting, here you can find the steps you can do to complete and finish your job. So, let‚Äôs check this out!
- The most difficult seeds to pre soak are the small ones, why? Yes, because of their size. For these seeds, a coffee filter or handy paper towel can be¬†useful to use. The paper towel or coffee filter should be¬†moistened thoroughly and¬†laid flat on a non-porous surface.
- The seeds need to be¬†sprinkled out gently onto¬†the wet paper and they¬†can be¬†spread out to about ¬Ĺ inch apart. It is done this way it¬†easier to cut them apart later.
- And the next imperative step is that other coffee filter or paper towel¬†needs to be¬†wetted thoroughly and they should be placed on top of these seeds.
- And then, you have to remember that any excess air should be¬†gently be pressed out and the towel should be flattened on the top of the seeds.
- And fifth, the sheets should be¬†folded in half ,and then in half again, so a small and compact piece can be¬†formed. And then they should be¬†placed in a plastic tray and the water should be sprinkled over the top to really soak the paper.
- After that, they should be¬†kept in a warm place, maybe for about a few days, so sprouting will be encouraged. Don‚Äôt let the paper become dry.
- The paper¬†can then be unfolded and the seeds apart should be cut, and¬†the paper should also be kept with each seed when the seeds.¬†They¬†should then be¬†directly be planted into the soil.
- They should be soaked in a container with a lid if the¬†seeds are too large for the wet paper method.
- Enough containers should be¬†placed out for all types of seeds that¬†are to¬†be soaked. The holes in the tops of plastic containers that are large enough should be¬†poked, so the water¬†will be allowed¬†out of it, but the seeds can be¬†kept small enough. You can do this by putting a cheese cloth or screen over the top of the container and it can be attached with rubber bands
- The seeds should be¬†placed in the containers. You have to score the hard shell first with sandpaper, a file or an emery board to scuff up the surface of the shell, so that the seeds can be easily be penetrated by water.
- The seeds should be¬†covered by using water and the top/screen should be secured.
- It should be¬†stored in a warm place. It should be allowed to sit for about 12 hours.
- All the water that remains should be¬†drained off after they have had a chance¬†to become saturated.¬† They should be¬†allowed to sit for about 6 ‚Äď 8 hours without the water, and then the water should gently be poured in the container. This process should be considered to repeat daily.
- They are to be planted after the seeds have begun to sprout.